HEADER BLOG TITLE

06/09/2012

Tutorial: Hiding Chain Stitches on Granny Squares between the rows

Hello, Hi, Hiya, Bonjour, Dumela, Asalaama Alaikum, Hej, Namaste and more! When I decided to forego my beloved pentagon and hexagon patterns in favour of hooking the "Little Karoo" throw in a basic square a month ago, I simply couldn't remember at what stitch to start and end a Granny Square. In hindsight I am glad since the majority of squares start and end each row in such a way that the chain stitches that form the first US dc are highly noticeable throughout the project.  Below are a few photos detailing the way I start my squares which also happen to hide the joins 100% - a pattern that emerged out of not knowing how others do it. Anyway, it might also be that this method is well known but I haven't surfed the tinternet yet to verify, so this is the Pigtails join for the time being. 

You will also notice that I do not put a chain stitch between my clusters in order to keep the squares tight and uniform.  I also only chain 2 instead of 3 stitches in order to create a US dc. I demonstrate by joining a new colour but the method remains the same irrespective of colour changes.



 In corner, ch 4. These will form one US dc and the 2 ch to create the corner.






Now create a cluster by hooking 3 dc. The corner will thus consist of 4 chains and the next set of clusters. 






Hook clusters all around.  I create my 4 corners by hooking ch 2 between clusters and not ch 3 as some do.




Once you have hooked a row around the square, simply hook another 2 US dc in the corner. You will cover the base of the first 4 chains you started with somewhat [it might feel wrong] which is exactly what you wanted. No-one will be able to detect where you started and ended your rows.




 Slip stitch into chain to close round - as seen above and below.







Now simply ch 4 again in order to start the next round. 



I hope my tutorial makes sense, I am not exactly the best tutorial writer where hooking is concerned. Have a great day - the sun is shining here and the weather is pleasant for a change. I am off for more tea-garden hooking and another fabulous Lemon Meringue South African style as seen below. Cheers!






5 comments:

  1. Hi dear friend, Thank you very much for the tutorial. It was very neccessary for me expecially..:))
    Thank you very much.. And all best days...:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read a nice post semi-recently comparing grannies with different spacings, eg no or 1 chain between cluster, also nr of ch in corner, even making corners with longer stitches, eg 2dc 1 tr 2ch 1 tr 2 dc (don't like that one.) I also use 2 ch for the corners, but 1 ch between side clusters. The tighter granny would especially be nice for cushions etc.
    And the hook can make a huge difference...I'm using a 4.5 with DK Vinnis now for a soft, floppy blanket, whereas I would rather use a 4 or even 3.5 when making a bag or cushion. What hook size did you use here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once read that in order to keep the giant granny [throws] square from the center to the outer edges and to prevent it from becoming wavy nearer the ends, it is better to hook without a ch between the clusters. I guess I also don't have the patience to add the ch anyway. I used hook size 4 here and am doing the same size again with another throw. Seems to work just great for these but I also like bigger or smaller hook sizes depending on project. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice tutorial, but there is a much simpler way, that doesnt use chains, just start each row with a standing double crochet, and you will never know where your start or end ist. I use it all the time :)

    ReplyDelete